AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean Herbicides & RR weeds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JimmyP
Posted 3/18/2008 06:04 (#336463 - in reply to #336107)
Subject: Not Here

Lancaster, OH
I have to totally disagree. We found resistant marestail before guys were using RRC. Our outbreaks started in areas that were:

Continuous soybeans (bad idea)
Had a history of resistant marestail (ALS resistant, big genetic bank)
Continuous no-till
Continuous Roundup at lowest rates
Many had moved to no-burndown and a late, too tall application w/o adjusting rates (selected those most tolerant)

When the plant population shifted, the seeds were blown everywhere.

This was not the situation in every case but in most in the beginning. I had a resistant (excuse me, "differential tolerance") on giant ragweed. The situation was nearly identical to the above.

The farmer's attitude in these cases has been, "I was just trying to save some money. I can't afford to do anything else."

You have to be in a weed management frame of mind. That can include using nothing but glyphosate. However, things to change and you must adjust. Using only glyphosate here in Ohio is now out of the question and has never been a good choice for us in Corn.

That said, there are still under 10 weeds resistant to glyphosate with a product labelled to control a few hundred. There are more weeds proportionately resistant to 2,4-D, paraquat, atrazine, metolachlor, etc. but we adjust those programs as we go. The same should be true with glyphosate.

Excuse me while I step down from my box. :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)