AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean Herbicides & RR weeds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Virginia Veg.
Posted 3/17/2008 19:09 (#336107 - in reply to #336025)
Subject: RE: Soybean Herbicides & RR weeds

Eastern VA. No such thing as too many Magnums.
I wholeheartedly blame the resistance problem on RR corn. The soybeans were a good idea, the cotton was a good idea, but the corn was a BAD idea. There were/are plenty of easy ways to get weeds out of corn without the RR gene. A lot of lazy SOBs only plant roundup everything, and use low rates to compound the problem. Then the idiots are upset b/c the weeds don't die anymore. Plus the beans and cotton don't cross pollenate your neighbors fields like corn does. I've never planted RR corn and I never will. It was too good to be true and now its a messed up situation. I'm thinking of putting Sonalan and Command down on the soybean land this year. They're some of the few things that won't hurt my plantback on vegetables on a year following double crop beans. Even a lot of the old yellow chemicals don't work too good on pigweed anymore. We now have prostrate pigweed. Its not upright like the standard redroot pigweed. Its spindly and branches out right at the ground. Its much more succulant and looks almost like a purslane. I hate it. As far as corn, everyone around here just uses Lumax. A lot of hooded sprayers are coming out of retirement due to the palmer pigweed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)