AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat Foliar Feeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Phil N
Posted 3/15/2008 07:37 (#334330 - in reply to #334307)
Subject: RE: Wheat Foliar Feeding

Carl, I have done some foliar feeding with liquid urea with some of my clients in ND & SD - primarily for protein boosting. This will be a later application than what you would use with a fungicide however.

Grain protein content is a primary function of yield as you know, so when yields go up, typically the protein is diluted and reduced. Some years across the Central and Northern Plains, there are incremental HRW premiums for increased protein values, and I have found that 10-20lb/ac of liquid urea (NOT 28% or 32% liquid N, before anyone tries it and fries their flag leaves) applied with flat fan nozzles at soft dough stage will typically raise the protein by +/- 0.5%. This does not sound like much, but some years it has brought 25-50c/bu premiums.

Influencing yield this late in the season is not consistent, primarily we do this for protein boosting. If you applied urea earlier with a fungicide it may influence yield more, especially if the soil N levels are low, but it will probably be too early to boost protein significantly.

Phil N

www.needhamag.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)