AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

poly, brush or cupped auger
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Lookingglass
Posted 3/7/2008 15:27 (#328336 - in reply to #328087)
Subject: Re: poly, brush or cupped auger

Southwest Illinois
Poly will not be that much less gentle than steel. A soybean seed is so fragile that it doesn't matter if you hit it with a 10oz claw hammer or a 10lb sledge. Hard poly in a steel tube is still not gentle Poly has some advantages over steel but I'm not sure they are economically justifiable. University tests show very little advantage to poly vs cupped steel. An old worn out auger would definatly do some damage. My point is that a farmer stews over this decision to spend more or less money(a few hundred dollars) when his seed germination can vary 15% vs the label on the bag. Your poly flight may have reduced crackage 25% but a good steel auger would crack no more than 2% to begin with. So even if you figure on the high side, 2% less 25% is now 1.5% crackage. Which is not even worth mentioning and certainly not worth spending several hundred dollars on. Then add the fact that a cracked seed does not mean it is not viable and I just don't see the argument.

Now if I was treating at the wagon I would go with poly just because ot will help the seed along better. The steel will eventually coat and offer some resistance possibly adding some additional damage. Or buy the poly for the thought it will last longer. Those are all good reasons. I've just had enough experience in the seed business to know that buying poly flight on the sole basis of reducing seed damage is somewhat inaccurate. If you really want to reduce seed damage buy a conveyor, but get your wallet out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)