AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some help on my soil test.......South Central Texas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 2/21/2008 15:13 (#315949 - in reply to #315877)
Subject: 40 or 20 gal/A 10-34-0 banded.

Little River, TX
A lot depends on if you own the land or rent. Right now it does not appear fertilizer cost will go down.
The best most efficient way to put out phosphate in our soil is banding. The ideal way is to put it out when putting down anhydrous. It alleviates much of the need to add extra phosphate to compensate for the calcium tying it up.

I did not look real close at the Magnesium level, but I expect that could also be considered low also.

Besides the clay simply hogging all the cations, all that calcium you have can dominant the ion soup that is the available pools.

The school solution is you want all the fertility elements to be in the high range. Simply looking at the report as is your soil can use some potash as MOP or K-Mag.
In East Texas your potash level would be just fine. Here it just may be deficient.

If you use liquid then 20 gallons would be just a little more than 200 lbs of 10-34-0.
Try this cut the 10-34-0 half and half with water and use that, and on the rows where you spread some K-Mag or MOP use full strength 10-34-0.
Go to Bartlett and buy a one ton of MOP or 3 tons of K-Mag and spread it on enough rows to make an impression. The advantage of potash is drought tolerance in our crop. I really do not understand magnesium except some of the adverse effects of Mg by some really may be a problem of too much sodium. The thing I understand the best about calcium is we have excessive amounts, regardless of who is doing the testing.

You drive to Temple often? Every eat at the Golden Corral? The Temple Farm & Ranch Club meets there tomorrow. Just wander to the back room a little before noon. Every one pays their own ticket.
Seldom are there more than 10 there.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)