AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

120 acres coming out of CRP, go organic??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 2/11/2008 10:05 (#306881 - in reply to #306188)
Subject: Our experiences........

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

We have been 100% certified organic for several years......several hundred acres of row crops.......in the middle of-------well, we're the only ones in the county having more than 100acres of organic........

Contrary to comments by others, the reports I get show organics is just starting the climb.........I project really high prices for the next five years.......even in a down turn of the economy.  People still protect their food.........especially on the coasts, where making 100k is the usual, not the unusual.

A few weeks ago I was offered 10.00 for yellow corn.......have not heard of that being higher recently, so this winter's prices might be leveled off.......won't know until May.

re the certifiers.........I suppose there are bad guys out there.........but the Nat Org Program rules allow land to be instantly certified upon showing that it followed the rules for the prior two years, plus the current crop year.

OCIA has a reputation for being one of the most stringent agencies........check their website.

Check the NOP rules themselves.........not that tough to read.

I have no idea about crops in Montana...........in Iowa the biggest problem we have had is locating fertilizer for the number of acres we run, since we have no livestock.  Keeping the weeds down in the midst of conventional farmers is the easy thing to do........they spray.  Soybeans and weeds are our toughest problem..........corn is easy.

The belts between organic and conventional..........I don't remember the NOP requirements, but there is a number of feet...........which translates into not selling the crop from that area as certified organic-------sell it as conventional and be done with it.  Not usually enough to worry about.

Paperwork is not that tough.........not that big of a deal.

The organic routine---------from my perspective------------ is merely one of a set of procedures........follow the procedures, document it, and don't worry about those who want to make organic farming into a religion (both those who promote it, and those who knock it) and want to discuss it in those terms. 

The "honest" organic farmers follow the procedures---------if buyers want to believe organic products will put hair on their chest, so be it.  To me, that is no different than John Deere or CNH touting their products as being the best since motherhood, and farmers choosing to believe that.

As to the "dishonest" ones..........there are dishonest people everywhere.......I have even heard of conventional famers watering down their commodities just before delivery............for shame, for shame.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)