AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

As applied recording devices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

agger802
Posted 1/29/2008 09:06 (#295781 - in reply to #293084)
Subject: RE: As applied recording devices

NE MO & W IL
I've used SST Summit and Stratus for 4 years now. They have improved things dramatically over the years, but still lack yield data analysis and prescription map creation. You have to upgrade to Toolbox to do this stuff and it costs thousands for the program. Plus, Toolbox will not integrate with the record keeping ability of Summit/Stratus. I switched to Farmworks this year so I could integrate record keeping with yield analysis and prescription mapping. I'm having my fair share of problems now with Farmworks, but they're working on them. Farmworks will NOT do split planter logging, but SST Stratus will. HOWEVER, Summit will not separate varieties for yield analysis. It will not even separate "loads" in your yield monitor. It just's prints the yield maps with a whole field average, that's all. So, other than producing a fancy "as-applied" split-planter map, you can't do any analysis on how the hybrids/varieties performed. Farmworks will not record split planter maps either, BUT if you harvest the hybrids by "load" or "region" as they call it, it will separate yields, and let you print a "yield monitor load report" to analysis the differences. You can also select different sections or strips in yield data and Farmworks will calculate the yield. Farmworks is supposed to add the split planter feature and then allow automatic yield analysis, so you don't have to harvest each hybrid separately. At that point you will be able to just combine the whole field and it will overlay the split-planter map and calculate yields. I'm not holding my breath though. Ag leader's SMS and Insight will currently do this feature, but the intital cost is in the thousands just for the Insight. I don't think SMS has as good of recording keeping either.

Basically, you have to prioritize what you need and pick a software package. You will NOT get everything you want from just one package, so you just pic the one that does the majority of your needs. I'll probably end up buying them all before it's over.

Sorry for the book.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)