AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fecue and fences
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Fenceman
Posted 1/10/2008 21:34 (#280442 - in reply to #280195)
Subject: RE: Fecue and fences

NE
Stan,
I agree with one of the previous posters on checking the fescue for potential problems first . Have your FSA man give his thoughts on it and take a sample and get it tested .....not sure where you are located but if its not Endo Free Fescue it may raise a concern ?
As far as fencing, not sure Mo is same as Iowa but I assume it is....under the Equip program in Iowa if you construct a 4 wire fence they will cost share 50% at a rate of $1.28/ft or in otherwords pay you .64 to install it. You probably don't need a 4 wire fence along a creek but the extra 2 wires will cost you approx. .04/ ft extra . I don't remember excatly but I think the next scale down in payment under 4 wire is .65 -.75/ft . So as you can see you can pick up about .50/ft payment for a additional 4 cents costWhat I'd recommend is 2 hot and 2 neutral wires but it still passes the Equip 4 wire requirements. Not sure how large of a pasture you talking but I'd seriously consider splitting it up into paddocks with a 4 wire fence also ( they will cost share again) it will increase your pastures grass productivity immensely with a little adding labor on rotating the cows around......I've found it to be a great way on checking cow/calf pairs as they come walking past you going to the new grass .
One other reccomendation would be to check into a composite/plastic round fence post called "powerflex posts" they work great in these type uses. About the same cost or little more than steel post.....self insulating..virtually unbreakable and will flex when deer crash into it and recoil back with no damage. Can be hand driven into ground and use a cordless drill to drill your 4 holes with then they supply basically a 5" cotter pin that the wire slides thru making it so the wire can expand and retract without hurting the posts. I've used them alot this year and have been extremely happy with the results thus far . You may have to use a few wood posts here and there if the creek makes too many sharp bends but other than the ends you can use the powerflex for the rest . Don't tell your Gov guy but you can build this yourself and the .64 cent cost share payment will most likely pay 100% of it!
Don't know how many trees you need to take care of but they also have a brush mangement cost share program too you might check into as well as interseeding. Warning .....it is paperwork but if you work the system right it does offer good benefits especially if you are going to do the work anyway ! Good Luck .
Fenceman
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)