AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

raising sheep
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmerrob
Posted 1/6/2008 12:36 (#276886 - in reply to #276032)
Subject: Re: raising sheep

Ed and Steadyman hit upon a few things I missed. Pipestone is a very good source of info. They also have an "at home" study course you can take. I did it and found it very useful. I think it was around $150 with all materials mailed to me and certificate of completion. Ed mentioned the Stockman's Handbook. That too is a good source of info. Also check out American Sheep Industry Association website (www.sheepusa.org) They also have a book that I believe can be purchased from the website called the SID handbook or sheep production handbook. It is under ASI materials and costs about $75. I have not purchased one yet but everyone that has one highly recommends it. Ed mentioned parasites. Worms are a very big problem here for sheep but with rotational grazing this can be minimized but you will still need to use dewormers. There are three national magazines that are sheep magazines: Banner sheep magazine(www.bannersheepmagazine.com), The Shepherd (no website), and Sheep (www.sheepmagazine.com). I also believe that Canada has several good resources for info that I am not familiar with. If you want to look at sheep equipment, Premier Supply of Iowa specializes in sheep equipment. They are unique in that the owners raise sheep and test the items themselves and give some honest reviews of them. Their website is www.premier1supplies.com. I do know one Canadian sheep person who is in one of the Yahoo groups I am but I can't remember his name offhand. If you would like to contact him I will try to find his info. and pass it on.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)