AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD. replacement steering wheel
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

PrecIowaguy
Posted 1/28/2008 15:10 (#295240 - in reply to #272762)
Subject: RE: JD. replacement steering wheel

The john deere replacement wheel is about as accurate as the integrated system. Being a steering unit on the column, means that if your steering box has play in it then the guidance system won't be as accurate. By play I mean, you can turn the wheel back and forth a bit before the wheels actually move. John Deere's system does have a setting where you can adjust for that, steer play.

My Dad has a 1979 Deere 8430 articulated, we put a original greenstar display, processor, and autotrack universal kit on it. I ran it both on the sf1 signal which is +/- 13 inches and then tried the sf2 signal that is +/- 4 inches. Our steering system is pretty tight, so after adjusting the settings the unit worked like a champ.
I was disc ripping so accuracy wasn't to important since I had the track spacing set with a little overlap to pull back in some trash flung out from prior pass. So for that operation sf1 was fine, though I did notice that when trying sf2 the system tracked straighter.

Important thing is to spend time setting everything up right. Tire pressures all the same, if you are running the implement not straight out back, enter your offset. Measure the the height of your gps, and the distance it is from the front axle since you are on an articulated. These are important as these measurements are what the terraine compensation sensor goes by to adjust based on cab role on hills or rough terraine. Calibrate the TCM on flat ground prior starting out.

I would recommend writing those measurements down as well as the final ATU settings you find work the best. I heard the latest updates the system saves the settings per vehicle type now, that will be handy when I try it on a 4430 row crop. Make sure you choose vehicle type articulated for your 8430.

I hear they have a new ATU kit coming out, looking forward to checking it out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)