AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about Trimble Autopilot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/20/2007 08:03 (#264547 - in reply to #264201)
Subject: RE: Question about Trimble Autopilot

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I am using virtually the same equipment as you mention except that I am using a Trimble 332 instead of the 252.

The Nav II will be expecting the GPS information to be TSIP (Trimble Standard Interface Protocol). Most Trimble products have the ability to ouput in TSIP or other standards (NEMA, etc.) I am not aware of any other brands of GPS that have the capability to output information as TSIP.

For this reason, I believe we are pretty well stuck with using a Trimble receiver or one of the receivers made by Trimble that are packaged under other names such as Ag Leader.

The flow of GPS in our systems goes from the GPS receiver into the Nav II controller. The Nav II controller is connected to the display/input device (Insight in our cases). The Nav II and the Insight communicate back and forth. The GPS that the Insight gets has already been processed/passed through the Nav II. The other port on the GPS is available for other uses and could be configured in a competely different way such as NEMA.

Just this week I considered rearranging my other autopilot tractor by trading in the EZ-Guide 500 that is in that tractor towards a used Insight. This would mean that the used Insight would become the display/input device for that tractor. I would lose the GPS that is built into the EZ-Guide 500. This means I would need a GPS source in that tractor. I have a loose Phoenix receiver that operates fine under WAAS so I considered using it in this scenario. Then I remembered that the Phoenix cannot output TSIP to the Nav II so that GPS source is not acceptable. That plus the fact that I would need to get the autopilot unlock for the used Insight caused me reconsider and leave things the way that they are.

The reason I considered the change is that I much prefer using the Insight with the autopilot in the 8120 over the EZ-Guide 500 setup in the 8310. The EZ-Guide 500 when used with the autopilot works OK but I prefer the Insight.

Edited by tedbear 12/20/2007 11:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)