AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rents Going up and up and up...........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

conrad
Posted 10/31/2007 23:53 (#230242 - in reply to #228910)
Subject: Re: Rents Going up and up and up...........

My brother in law works with some ag distributors in that area around covington. About once a year I make a trip over there with him and we always ride down that road with the airport on it ( i assume the farm you mention is on that road). Those are some nice looking fields, even though the drought made the cotton look alot different than last year.
We were there during corn harvest this year and watched a combine west of the airport in about a 300-350 acre block. He was getting 3.5 hoppers a round on a big Deere. We thought we saw some irrigation pipe, so we drove around and talked to one of his drivers. He said only half the field was irrigated, but they were in the dryland, yields running around 180 on the dryland, real black soil right there where the trucks were. I guess that's some strong ground to look as good as it did in a drought year like this.
I wouldn't pay that kind of rent for anything, but corn over 4$ and corn like I saw down there this year on a drought year, I guess I might wager I could make a nice profit even with 225 dollar rent, but then again I run paid for equipment with myself and family as labor, so I tend to have an advantage on my hot shot neighbors... buried in debt and overhead, but hey they got new trucks and tractors (yipee), and they're usually the ones running up those wild rents.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)