AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

15 inch wheat????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Phil N
Posted 9/21/2007 19:48 (#207428 - in reply to #207330)
Subject: Re: 15 inch wheat????

While with Opti-Crop, we did lots of wheat row spacing research. One year we conducted a replicated 6" vs 12" trial and if I remember correctly there was an average wheat yield response of 12 or 15% with the narrow rows (trials were seeded at the same speed, same depth, same seed population of 300 seeds per yd2. That was a conventional tillage trial following corn in Southern KY, with 80-90 bu/ac wheat yields).

This year I conducted a replicated trial in N. Central KS comparing 7.5" spacing to 10" spacing within a no-till system (wheat after milo) and there was an average of 4% yield increase with the 7.5" rows (again both strips were seeded at the same speed, seed population and depth. We were within the 50-60 bu/ac yield range).

I would suggest that the higher the yields, the more limiting row spacing becomes. Remember that within England and surrounding countries they use 3.75 - 5" row spacing as a result of many years of row spacing work (within 120-160 bu/ac yield environments). When I talk to growers in England about 7.5" spacing or 10" this side of the pond, they look at me funny.... but they probably look at me funny most of the time anyway...... its just worse!

The only benefit of the corn planter would be the addition of floating row cleaners to manage residue if you were no-tilling. This may stack the deck slightly towards the planter, but as some of the other posters noted, splitting the 15" rows would be the best of both worlds.

Phil

www.needhamag.com

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)