AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pictures of storm damage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JohnG
Posted 8/26/2007 08:43 (#193363 - in reply to #193358)
Subject: RE: More Pics

W. Illinois
Most of it is just tipped over, it varies by location and hybrid. Very few plants are actually snapped off probably around 1 - 2%. There are fields that have a lot of stalks kinked over about 12-18 in high. Those are the ones that worry me. That kink will be a super highway for disease to enter the plant.
I think it is all harvestable (with a reel), some might have to pick cross ways or at an angle on the E-W rows. N-S rows should be relatively "easy". The milk line on the corn in the pic is about half way down, so it will be a while before we can get started on this stuff. (Anyone have a guess at how much yield this will cost us?)
We live north of Biggsville but do have ground north and south of Kirkwood, that corn is flat. I really feel bad for the guys that have a lot of acres in the path of the storm. My in-laws probably have 90+% of their corn down. Their bin site was in Kirkwood.
As for that sick feeling, yeah we have all had that, but we are counting our blessings that no one was hurt. You can plant more corn and re-build bins... you can't replace people.

Edited by JohnG 8/26/2007 22:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)