AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feed Ration for Late Second early Third Trimester Cows.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Noland
Posted 12/23/2011 11:41 (#2120591)
Subject: Feed Ration for Late Second early Third Trimester Cows.

Willmar MN

I have a couple of questions that I have been thinking about and just wanted to get some other input as to what some other people would do. We have been very blessed this year with an open winter and looks like we are going to have one at least for the next 10 days or so. We have been fortunate enough to run our cows on stalks and will continue to for another 2-3 weeks. I did not plan on this as I thought I would be feeding cows the 15th of November already. Yesterday I looked at some of my feed supplies and have some questions/concerns I wanted to ask. I plan on feeding 30lbs of Sweet Corn Silage, 10lbs or so of Corn Stalks (Whatever it takes to make the silage a little drier), 10lbs of modified Distillers, and a co balancer mineral. Also, depending on how they eat that ration I will give a bale of hay every other day or so. I have a horizontal mixer wagon with a side chute that I will be using and putting the product in inside/out tires and bunks to feed. I was looking at my sweet corn silage and see a little mold on the top of it. I would say the top 3-4 inches are rotten or crusted? I haven't dealt with silage before so this is kind of new to me. I have been feeding the bulls and a couple cull cows off the pile for a while so I know what it looks like. It is consistent so far in what I have seen. Here is another question, will that somewhat moldy stuff mix with the rest of the feed and not make a difference or should a guy take what he sees out of the bucket with a pitch fork? I fed hay all last year and this mixing ration deal is all new to me. If some of you veterans have some input it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)