AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wiring a Garmin 17 for an AgLeader Insight...??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/8/2007 05:31 (#184288 - in reply to #183997)
Subject: RE: Wiring a Garmin 17 for an AgLeader Insight...??

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I used a Garmin 17N with a PF3000 for a few years. I assume the wiring for the Garmin 17 would be the same. The wiring for the PF3000 is the same as the Insight.

The Garmn drawing is correct. The 17N came loose - meaning bare wires with no connector. Confusion can come about with the Tx & Rx lines. It is easy to get these reversed. With most setups, Ag Leader needs a null modem arrangement where Pin 2 goes to Pin 3. This is the opposite of a direct to PC connection. The signal ground and power ground are common in the Garmin so that wire goes to two pins.

I will see if I can roundup my drawing. I was able to make a connector that allowed the Garmin 17N to be plugged directly into the Ag Leader harness. With this connection, power, ground and the signals were all in the 9 Pin connector package making for an easy hookup. The down side to this was that I was not able to connect the 17N directly to a PC for updates. I then made a second adapter harness that reversed Pins 2 & 3 and had a separate power source.

Thus when the Garmin 17N was used with the Ag Leader it plugged directly into their harness. When I needed to update and/or configure the Garmin, I used the adapter cable to PC and separate power.

The Garmin may need to be reconfigured depending on its present setup. My Garmin came setup with most NEMA strings ON. This could cause an overload in the PF3000 - too much information. This is less likely with the Insight but the only strings that need to be ON are GGA & VTG. The BAUD rate of 4800 8 N 1 should be satisfactory.

I am still uncertain about how some of the older Garmins will work with the change in WAAS. This is an area I need to investigate yet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)