AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog confinement facilities
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

gusmz
Posted 12/2/2011 18:42 (#2081137)
Subject: Hog confinement facilities

I'm a young Farmer in northeast nebraska. I currently Rent one irrigated quarter and an eighty. and within the next 10 to 15 years I will take over the family farm which is paid for 874 acres. However currently I am having a heck of a time picking up more farmland. I bid very agressive and In the past couple months I've been contacted by several landowners looking to give me a chance to bid on new ground. However two fields in a row I've been asked to bid and when I contacted them less then two days later. The ground has been rented to a BTO. I'm very worried about the future of grains and I'm starting to question wheter or not being a grain farmer is the way to go. I've grown up raising hogs. Started raising farrow to finish. and in 1995 we built a new barn for isowean pigs we got about 1000 head every 9 weeks. It was work but made money when grains didn't. Also lost us alot of money in the late 90's which lead us to stop buying around 2004. I've been out of the game for 7 years and i'm wondering what kind of trouble would I be looking at. or even if I would be able to buy and sell isoweans pigs anymore. I more then likly will need to rebuild my barn and maybe build a 1000 head building in the future. I guess what i'm looking for is advice if this is a good idea or should i just keep bidding on ground to loose money and get nowhere. Thanks for any advice
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)