AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bottle calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Geargrinder
Posted 11/30/2011 22:42 (#2077876 - in reply to #2077092)
Subject: Re: Bottle calves

MN
Actually surprised by how fast they find the machine. What we've done is push the calf in the feeder and show it the nipple (the feeding station has a hole in the top) sometimes requires fingers, but they are usually pretty hungry since they are trucked 6-7 hours (I get the young ones who haven't been pail broke - that's a problem calf if pail broke). We leave the lights on all the time with this particular machine since they get frequent small feedings and will get up in the night to eat. We have kind of a big pen with a couple cement walls but by morning of the first day (we usually get calves in the afternoon) about half or more will have already found the machine back and eaten. I'll check the computer box and run around and find the ones who haven't eaten. Generally by day 3 they are off on their own if they are healthy (and not stupid) - but I am paranoid and will push a few to the machine if I think they haven't had enough feedings. I've had one or two that are "stupid" without much suck reflex but try the 'you'll get hungry' method and they usually adapt (or die because there is something wrong - usually the biggest calf that might have been a hard pull). You can tell if they are sick by the number of feedings they have eaten (or the general good look around method - which is more interesting in a group situation). With the machine, I spend more time observing than I did when we pail fed in individual pens - the time I used to spend mixing and hauling feed is spent actually observing calves. I clean this machine every day - if you don't the mixing bowl gets kind of gunky and sometimes a chunk would break loose and plug the hose (you can tell that immediately when you come in - calves are all standing around the feeding station - had happen only one time when I skipped cleaning when I was in a hurry). I don't think I've had any more sickness than I had in pens (I used 4x4 pens before and also group fed with a nipple barrel). Have to watch the respiratory but that's pretty standard no matter what. I don't get super excited about loose stools - but do keep a close eye on those in case it gets worse - you can add feedings to get additional fluid into them. I do tube feed if I think the 'you'll get hungry method' is taking too long or stupidity is too strong. To keep from sucking navels, we did extend the feeding station - we thought the feeding station was too wide so did slide a plastic gate (plastic lumber) in one side to make narrower and the other side I slid a plastic sorting gate in to keep from sucking on the opposite side. On the Biotic web site, there is a picture of a feeding station that someone made a plywood narrowing device which would be a good idea - otherwise they try to get two in at a time when they catch on - especially if the calves are a little smaller (we usually get 85-90 pounders) - I did put a sucker on one calf who wouldn't give up the middle batch, but this time I put the extra gate in and that really helped. I do wash the nipple every day with soap and water along with the mixing bowl. Cleaning the mixing bowl and the works takes about 10-12 minutes. About 5 minutes to fill the top with milk replacer. I mix any medications into the milk replacer (only use dry medications) with a wisk. I've experimented and some milk replacers work better - less "sticky" the better. The automatic isn't a set it and forget it method - you still have to be a good herdsperson and be able to read your calves. I do spend a lot of time observing, but that's because I like it and it's better than my day job a lot of days. We feed calf starter pellets in a bunk and have an automatic waterer in the pen. We use round corn stalk bales for bedding - easier than individual pen bedding - first one lasted 3 weeks on concrete. After about day 3, my husband checks the machine in the morning just to make sure working and add milk replacer if needed. I clean at night after I get home from work. This works well for me because I don't get home the same time every day. If you are interested, I can get you the name of the person we got our machine from - lives in SW Minnesota - and has sold a number of machines I think - not to far from Iowa.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)