AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Revenue coverage for August feeders?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GCAT
Posted 11/28/2011 18:30 (#2072870 - in reply to #2072190)
Subject: RE: Revenue coverage for August feeders?

Eastern Kansas
My brothers and I rent some ground that the landowner really wanted us to run steers on. Last spring the price was so high, we decided we'd better get some protection. So, I was in the same boat as you. I did research on Livestock Risk Protection, and that's what we decided to go with. I'll never do it again. Costs too much money for what you get. It will only do you any good if there is a catastrophic price drop in the markets.

Essentially, it has absolutely nothing to do with your cattle, but you have to have the cattle to get it.

Thankfully we have talked this particular landowner into letting us run pairs from now on. This works out much better for us right now as we just aren't set up yet to handle the risk involved with the current feeder market.

If I were you, I would market your cattle on the video auction for delivery at the date you want to sell them. That way you know what you're getting and you can plan accordingly. In talking to guys who have used it, it sounds like if you use video auction the right way you can lessen your risk and maximize your profit. Just my 2 cents.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)