AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ignorant about dairies. Do some really take in this much money everyday?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 11/21/2011 09:22 (#2060473 - in reply to #2060108)
Subject: RE: Jay, Please don't lump all dairies together........

I'm a small dairy 120 cow, plus commercial beef cow operation. Some years I have to buy more or less, At least I buy 200 -500 tons a year. I've allways paid my bills on time, I will pay up front, then settle up on last load. I really had to smile when in 08' when hay prices went crazy, I did pay $200 in windrow for dairy hay, $175 baled for feeder hay. All the hay brokers had everything tied up. Right after the first of the year, hay producers were calling begging me to take hay for $123 delivered for dairy. Because those brokers, compressors etc. Weren't paying the bills dragging them out on money.

They caused the low prices in 09' and 10', not the dairymen. Those exporters selling to Asia and Arabic countries because they have cheap freight over seas. It's sad that those foreign countries set our oil prices then our hay prices as well. I look to see U.S. prices take a dump again when exporters over price, and the other countries will buy else where.

If all feed costs stay this high for good, well milk and meat prices will have to raise even more to support those high feed costs. But because of messed up gov. policies, etc. our whole markets are messed up. I don't know were it will all end, but it will be a ride!

In the last three years I've heard more guys complain about hay brokers, than dairies not paying. I'm sure it's a local thing. In the bad deals I read about, it was the middleman that screwed the hay producer, not the dairy. A couple of cases right now, the dairy's are going after brokers that took money, and never delivered the hay.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)