AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Round bale feeders
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/14/2011 12:27 (#2049434 - in reply to #2047506)
Subject: RE: Round bale feeders

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I have several of these Common Sense cradle type feeders. I like them because they are very sturdy and I can put out several large bales in a few minutes and the bales are held up off of the ground. As a person who can not feed every day, the ability to put out a large and known quantity of hay quickly is important to me.

As mentioned above, there is no perfect hay feeder as far as hay losses go. Some does fall down beneath the feeder. However it does not get soiled. And if you don't put out more until they clean it up there is really not much waste. I figure 3% of the cattle weight in a pasture per day, my 5x6 ft bales are all in the 1500-1600 lb range (I use 1550# for calculations) and try not to put out more until the calculated day they need it. This way they clean up what fell from the cradle as long as it is not soiled.

Depending on the quality of the hay and the weather, actual hay consumption may be closer to 2.5%. Letting them scrounge at the end of the period for a day or two was difficult for me at first but their condition has stayed good and they really appreciate it when I fill the feeders up again. Cattle won't pickup the hay that has fallen through as long as there is good hay up above.

I do have a couple simple light weight 2 pc sheeted lower Applegate slant bar feeders that I like & use to move around where ever needed but the Common Sense are my main feeders. The Applegates are easy to move and cows do not seem to lose eartags using them compared to the S bar feeders I have tried.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/14/2011 12:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)