AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? for west hay growers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 11/4/2011 23:22 (#2034141 - in reply to #2034069)
Subject: RE: ? for west hay growers.

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
I feel very fortunate to be located where we are, we can run maxi sets on the county roads within 10 mi of the OR line to load/unload hay with a permit. Actually we are close enough that a lot of the storage is on the OR side anyway if it is grown on the CA side... not that anyone here claims to be a Californian anyway. I'm guessing well over half the hay I load goes north @ 105,500, actually quite a bit going to E-berg again this year.

The CA weight limit is stupid. Hay is a good example, they won't let the longer trucks run in CA, only 28.5' doubles or 48' single. So freight guys can't really haul hay, can't get a load on them like you can the 40-24' sets like OR and WA. So most hay guys only haul hay since they need to have lightweight sets of doubles or truck and trailers to get a load. If CA would let the bigger trucks haul, not only would you have fewer trucks on the road since they can haul more, they could be loaded more of the time as well.

But don't get me started on a rant about how asinine the state of California is, the weight limit is so far down on the list of stupid things being done in CA it isn't even funny. And I'm up here in the sagebrush, we don't even know the half of it... don't want to either.... ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)