AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I got a Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Howdyjabo
Posted 10/16/2011 13:22 (#2006367 - in reply to #2006282)
Subject: Re: I got a Question

NC
If all you are getting is 2.5lbs average you are just not feeding enough to lay down fat in the latter stages.

While growing frame you want less than 2.5/lbs so that they do NOT lay down fat and grow frame-- after the frame is there you need to have 3lbs or over/day to lay down the fat needed to grade.

There is some research on laying down intramuscular fat cells while real young (300lbs) get them fat to around 600- then back off and grow frame and finish them on a lower energy feed.
They are supposed to "set" fat memories in the meat and be able to relau down fat latter.

I will second the implants too-- unless you are more than meeting needs for growth(over 1.75/lbs/day) the implants will backfire and hurt your finish. They make more energy go to growing frame/muscle,which takes away from laying down fat.

Young calves can be grown fast and hard- they will just finish at a lighter weight. the negativity for fleshy calves is when you want to resell them. If you are finishing them yourself its not as big a problem if you don't mind selling at lighter weights.

Edited by Howdyjabo 10/16/2011 13:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)