AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ultrasound again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 10/5/2011 01:49 (#1991359 - in reply to #1990578)
Subject: Re: ultrasound again

Faunsdale, AL
One study I saw a long time ago found no difference in the number of sperm in the horns of the uterus even when the technician had placed the semen well down one horn. Didn't take very long after insemination either.

Another study that I found interesting was one that compared very experienced AI technicians vs some guys that only bred their own cows and apparently low numbers at that. They told each technician to breed half the cows by depositing the semen in the uterine body, just through the cervix. The other cows each one inseminated they were to deposit the semen as far down one horn as they could gently place the AI gun. The results showed that the very experienced technicians had no difference in the conception rates from the two methods. The guys that didn't have a lot of experience almost all improved their conception rate by placing the semen down into one horn instead of in the uterine body like we were all taught in AI school. Two conclusions I took from that..........
Lots of guys don't get through the cervix, maybe from being too careful not to go too deep into the uterus.
The exact placement of the semen in the uterus apparently isn't as important as we were taught in school, as long as we get it IN the uterus!

Last point.............ovulation occurrs after insemination if timed perfectly. Remember that sperm have to be capacitated in the uterus before they can fertilize the egg. This process takes some hours in the uterus. In fact it is generally accepted that it's better to inseminate early than late. The sperm can last longer than the egg. You want lots of capacitated sperm in the oviduct when the egg gets there. Even though it "only takes one", more sperm do make for better embryonic development somehow. There are frequently "accessory" sperm in the egg even though only one contributes DNA.

I think the nutrition of you herd is probably the most important factor other than fertile semen and competent inseminator and heat checker.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)