AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

boarding horse cost
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 10/1/2011 13:18 (#1986473 - in reply to #1984477)
Subject: I'll agree with the 350 - 500 range

Aberdeen MS
That is if you have the facility.

A barn with a few stalls and water taking up space with some fences that are "fences in name" would be around $150 - 200. Throw some hay over in the morning and night...make sure water is there, nothing more type of facility.

Like said...hay isn't that big of an issue, just make sure it isn't pure alfalfa and has been put up correctly.

The only horse that needs grain is one that is working hard during the week. Or the one of few that just refuse to carry weight period. At least that is what all the nutrition classes/books on rations that I studied in the early 70's had to say. Don't think the horse's needs have changed any in the last 40 yrs.

I have a thorough bred here for a friend from the track that is that way, slow process, but I am getting there to get some meat on him to carry the winter.

The rest of my horses ( I have been up to 14 on the yard at my highest point) basically put a pound on just seeing you carry the hay to them. For them, grass hay that has been left to go to seed and just starting to "dry down" is about right for those.

A horse by nature eats 20 out of 24 hours a day. You have to get enough hay in front of them to satisfy their chewing instinct, but low enough quality so they don't get fat or end up with the proverbial hay belly.

A horse herd is very similar to a wolf pack, a pecking order. Matching up the right ones in a herd setting is important. But more important is to not over crowd a pen/pasture. As long as there are not corners or places where one can get caught in, and enough room for the omegas to get away from the alphas, things go ok.

Just remember the #1 rule as far as injuries. You can comb the barn/yard/pen for anything that would injure one, and the horse will show you in short order what you have missed.

A bunch more stuff that can be/should be considered, but that would take a post the length of a book.

Email me if you want more info.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)