AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeder Lambs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Seth_ia
Posted 9/29/2011 10:53 (#1983744 - in reply to #1983726)
Subject: RE: Feeder Lambs

Sounds like your pretty much on top of things. Actually you sound much better than a lot of producers that have raised sheep for years! I have a couple of minor things you can think about, but I don't see a single reason what your planning won't work.

1) Personally I like corrid and that is what I use. However some vets do not recommend it for sheep. Apparently there is a slight chance of it causing Polio. I've never seen it.

2) One of my vets has suggested that lambs should get 3 doses of the CD/T instead of the 2 that the label says. When I was using two doses I would see a few breaks with the vaccine at 2 doses for no apparent reason. Since I have been using 3 doses I haven't seen any issues. For the price of lambs the extra does is cheap insurance. I would highly recommend it.

3)For my tastes the protein is a little low at least to start with. I'd prefer to be in the 14-16% level. Also have you considered a pelleted soyhull/DDGS ration? This is what I and many of my friends have switched to and have been very happy. It's also a little cheaper than using corn/protein pellets. I can get you the mix if you'd like.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)