AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WAAS shutdown delayed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

NebraskaFarm
Posted 7/15/2007 10:30 (#174419 - in reply to #174379)
Subject: Re: WAAS shutdown delayed

I was upset about the changeover too and most likely feel the same way you do. I did however notice Raven posted the information on their website roughly a month ago. This changes the timeframe from 15 days to about 45 days. 45 days is alot more realistic which in your case, would have brought down the number to a little over 4 updates/day. If this "shutdown" wasn't extended, anybody who hasn't done the update would have issues tomorrow. Raven also listed on their website the steps necessary to update their receivers. Thanks to the efforts of those DougS stated, everybody has a little more time to get things done.

The manufacterers can't be blamed for not starting on this early enough either. WAAS is run by the FAA and the FAA takes care of WAAS for aviation, not agriculture. I'm sure it's not in the FAAs procedures to notify the Ag industry of changes hence the mfrs can't be blamed.

Every dealer who sells GPS systems needs to take this situation and use it to their advantage in the future. Use this as justification to sell the higher end systems which provide more than just WAAS. I am guilty of using a WAAS only receiver. I can say though that I will surely be buying a Raven Phoenix 300 now so I can have an "insurance policy" so when WAAS goes out, I can use the Canadian WAAS system. (yes, CDGPS now works as far South as the tip of TX.) If that doesn't work, I can always subscribe to one of the OmniSTAR signals too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)