AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Renting out the barn for milking
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bshannon
Posted 9/11/2011 11:21 (#1957042)
Subject: Renting out the barn for milking

We haven't milked for 5 years in the old barn, it needs a little concrete work, but barn cleaner, pipeline, washer, bulk tank, compressor, vac pump, etc are all there and should be ready to go with a minimum of effort. I've been running beef outside, but have the opportunity to rent the barn for a friend who quit farming a few years ago during low milk prices. He works full time as a mechanic now, but has 12 cows, and would like to get back up to about 20 cows. I have no clue on what to charge for barn rent, who pays for what, etc. In addition he would like to start x end of October and I need to decide what to charge for 20 acres of corn to sell for high moisture corn/silage? And looking further ahead, rent for machinery use (I have a mostly full line of equipment for dairy) ? Any thoughts or cautions on this. I'd love to see the barn in use again, but don't want to lose money doing it. I'm posting this on Ag Cafe and Machinery Talk as well since it covers a lot more than just livestock. TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)