AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Water fountain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/3/2011 22:45 (#1945035 - in reply to #1944660)
Subject: RE: Water fountain

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I have a Petersen 34C concrete as my main waterer and 2 Mirafount 3100 all poly in a couple of pastures.  I went with the Mirafounts in the part time pastures because they were less expensive and easier to install (lighter) than the concrete. I think they both good products and have their place. The Petersen though is definitely the workhorse.

I the Dakotas as Wisconsin I would highly recommend  installing a thermostat controlled heat tape and insulation on the waterline coming up the under the waterer. The dangling heat tape provided with the Mirafount is not adequate to keep the riser from freezing at 20 below in WI.

Fortunately the fellows that do the plumbing for mine always put a thermostat heat tape on the riser and insulate the tube and tape.  One very cold morning I found the donut heater in the Mirafounts was warm but no water around it as the riser had frozen with the dangling tape they provide. I plugged in the plumbers heat tape and put a trouble light under the base and fortunately water started flowing in a few hours. 

The Petersen with several inches of concrete and a couple inches of foam is definitely better insulated than the all-poly waterers I've seen. jmho.

Good luck.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 9/3/2011 23:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)