AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wiring Help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/24/2007 06:53 (#166087 - in reply to #165907)
Subject: RE: Wiring Help

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I am not familiar with the MT 150 nor your Lowrance unit. I have some experience in mating various devices together which may or may not be useful.

Here are a few thoughts: 1) the GPS will certainly need 12 V power and Ground to operate. If the MT 150 gets power from another connector then the power issue is covered. 2) the GPS needs to get its information to the Lowrance unit. I am quite certain that only pins 2, 3 and 5 will be involved with this conncection. 3) Transmit and Recieve can be confusing since the Transmit wire from the GPS needs to be connected to the Receive wire of the Lowrance. 4) the BAUD rate between the two devices will need to agree. If the GPS currently works with your PF3000, it is most likely set at 4800 which from my experience is fairly likely to be correct for the Lowarance. Your GPS is also probably set to Output GGA and VTG to the PF3000. GGA is almost always utilized and VTG is used for speed. Your GPS unit must also be set to 8,N,1 if it is communicating with the PF3000. Again this is very common and may be correct for the Lowrance.

If the Lowrance demands settings other than those required by the PF3000, it is usually possible to change the output from the GPS to match what is needed by the new device. In GPS units with a display and a keypad this can be done with the unit itself. Other "blind" units (no display or keypad) usually require a connection to a PC running a communication or special program provided by the GPS manufacturer to change these settings. This can be a hassle. First of all you may not be certain as to what settings are actually required and second you will need to undo these settings to get the GPS to again work with the PF3000.

It might actually be easier to buy a second cheap GPS such as one from Garmin. I got one from a boaters supply outfit for around $85. Then once you had it setup for the Lowrance unit you could just leave it alone.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)