AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sell Corn or Beans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/18/2007 09:54 (#163887 - in reply to #163836)
Subject: Re: Sell Corn or Beans?

southern MN
Kinda 2 phylosophies (sp!) show up on a question like this.

Some want to either hit a home run or strike out.

Others wish to sell as the crop goes up, taking some profit along the way, hoping for a better sale the next one, but not losing sleep on the past one which was 'pretty good.'

I think we are very well into the 'pretty good' area of grain sales right now today.

I'd be nervious not having 50% of my 2006 crops sold by today, & would be kinda real happy having 75% of both sold. I would sleep just fine having 100% sold too tho.

Folks are getting upset about food prices. As grain prices raise this time of year, the govt can react to that pressure & 'do something about it.' CRP acres can open up, ethanol subsides can shrink - more likely borders could open to ethanol or grain barges free of tariffs. It could rain in dry aresa in 3 days.

The odds of grain dropping drastically in value is fairly low.

The odds of it being a roller-coaster the next 60 days is pretty high.

The odds of the govt 'doing something about it' is 50-50.

What's right? I donno. Be hard to call any sales in the past 7 months 'wrong', tho some caught the up-side of the roller coaster better than others.

Don't think i will lose any sleep over anything I sold in the past 3/4 year.

I'm wondering about 2007 crop. We seem short on acres for our needs into 2008. What's gonna happen there? I'm thinking the govt will 'do something about it' by then, & having contracted grain before they do would be a good thing.

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)