AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tenderleen and other finishing rations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/27/2011 12:26 (#1748165 - in reply to #1748104)
Subject: Feed costs

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I don't have any experience with the product you mention but I do buy bagged sweet calf feeds I use as a "treat" grain to keep my cattle coming into the corral and gentle them.

The one I have purchased for several years keeps going up in price and has visibly less and less corn in it. But at least it is mostly grain - looks like wheat and barley etc along with the molasses and some pellets which seem to be an increasing percent of the mix.

Recently I tried a different suppliers supposedly "equivalent" sweet calf feed but which was less expensive. I was somewhat surprised to open a bag and see loose cotton in the mix - must be ginnings, along with a number of different size and texture pellets (supposedly DDG pellets) and what corn was in it looks like 3 year old screenings and corn dust swept out of the bottom of a bin somewhere. And even though it had molasses in it, my cattle seemed to look up from the bunk with a look like "where did you get THIS stuff???" They did not even finish it up (especially the cotton).

This makes me think that there is just no free lunch or magic bullet when it comes to feeds - you get what you pay for in protein etc. We are just in a world of higher costs - and will require higher selling prices to cover these higher costs. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)