AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SPF Harvestors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

a of jag
Posted 4/26/2011 22:53 (#1747124 - in reply to #1746554)
Subject: Re: SPF Harvestors

Waverly MN
Garvo, in regards to you comment about keeping your pull type. Why, why, and why. I understand that hay is "harder" on a chopper than corn, but if you are switching to a self propelled why would you want to have to maintain and keep the necessary parts around for two machines. Also depending on if a guy switches to trucks, the only way to go in my opinion, then you also need to keep wagons around or put the spout extensions on to blow into trucks. I have seen a few guys keep there pull types for hay and have a self propelled for just corn and I just don't get it. Once you experience the capacity of self propelled I cannot imagine pulling my hair out running around a field with a pull type. Also the pull type chopper market is falling every year it seems. So if a guy was to make the switch, sell or trade the pull type before it is worth even less. The one thing I do see a lot of producers doing is hiring there corn silage chopped with a self propelled, but keeping there pull type to chop there own hay. That makes some sense to me. They probably don't have a processor on the pull type and so they can get processed silage and still make there hay a pace that suits them. Just my 2 cents.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)