AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much of your own vet work do you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

German Shepherd
Posted 3/15/2011 22:10 (#1672428)
Subject: How much of your own vet work do you do?

Just curious how many here do almost all their own vet work?   Around here, we pretty much do everything ourselves except for  C sections and uterine prolapses on cows (haven't had either in 10 years, knock on wood), and C sections on ewes.   And of course bull testing and bangs vacinating.

Just about everything else we do ourselves, including preg checking (reach in with sleave, no ultra sound yet), vaginal and rectal prolapses, and I've even started doing my own uterine prolapses on sheep.  Just figured it's easier to do it myself then to get the vet out. 

Did the uterine prolapse a couple weeks ago because I didn't feel like dragging out one of the vets at 3 AM.  I am going to talk to our head vet and see if he'll sell me the medicine to do an epidermal on the next uterine prolapse.  It's work pushing a uteroous into a sheep when she's doing her damnedest to push it back out. 

Also do our own castrating and dehorning before we went to polled bulls.

What's really funny is my dad never had livestock and grandparents and uncles had a feedlot.  Had to learn it all the hard way.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)