AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bio Augmented hog manure? Pit treatments?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 2/8/2011 08:48 (#1600597 - in reply to #1598952)
Subject: Re: Bio Augmented hog manure? Pit treatments?

If you think of it, you're pouring $700 into a pit of manure - I'd advise caution. We had pretty bad foaming last year and there were some salesman stating they had the answer, but it required multiple treatments and agitation. It's possible agitation alone probably helps a lot - it's all hard to say. One thing for sure is that manure is a complex substance/mixture/whatever and varies in composition depending on feed, weather (warm means more activity) and possibly animal type. A one size fits all is not likely to be a slam dunk solution. For foam we found crop oil sprayed over the top worked as good as the expensive defoaming agents - $25 vs $250.

Bottom line is that this has been worked on for a while and in the world of sewage treatment there are chemists working all the time analyzing the stuff and varying treatment as necessary. Last time I checked, there is no room for a chemist in the budget (unless you happen to be one).

I'm not saying some of these additives can't work. Be careful using something that may cause particulates to drop out of suspension - no one likes to run a skid steer in the bottom of a pit. The big problem for me is the upfront cost without 'this works every time' type results.

thanks,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)