AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Livestock Guardian Dog
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

firefighter9208
Posted 1/19/2011 08:24 (#1558253 - in reply to #1557351)
Subject: Re: Livestock Guardian Dog

Springville Alabama
My mother has one that is two years old and barks constantly. She barks at the hogs, the squirrels, deer, racoons, her tail. She won't listen to me and my mother won't make her shut up. Some nights I'd love to put a bullet in her. It's really bad when there is a full moon. My wife even says she wishes that dog would die.

If mine barks then I know there is a problem. I'll get up and go outside. Of course she was taught to not bark at everything. My dog will just lay there and look at mother's dog barking. Some times I think that she wants mother's dog to shut up so she can sleep.

I had a male that began attacking my female goats when they kidded. He would get between the doe and her kids. I guess he thought he was protecting the kid. Of course the goat would butt him. He nearly ripped one does ears off. My wife talked me into letting him live. He then attacked another doe and when I got him by the collar to move him out of the pasture into a pen he snapped at me. I called my vet and he told me that he would have to be put down. Either he (vet) could do it or I could. I saved myself that $100.00 and did it myself. I couldn't have a 150 # dog around that snapped at me and attacked my female goats when they kidded. I also have an 8 and 3 year old kids that I was worried about.

Another guy that I know with goats had to have his male put down. He started killing his pigmy goat kids and Boer kids when they were born. You would find the kids with puncture wounds and my friend even caught the dog killing one of the kids.

My female is a very big pet. We sold our goats about a year ago and put our St. Bernard in the pasture with the Pyrenese. Both of them will let my kids lay on them and play for hours.

Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)