AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beef Buildings
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 1/19/2011 09:07 (#1558350 - in reply to #1555354)
Subject: Re: Beef Buildings

western iowa,by Denison
ok-the dnr says its alright to let the cattle in my alley ways to clean the building out,so I let them in my alley way so there out of the way when cleaning,I can stockpile in a old barn on a abadon farm,or has to have less then a 3%grade and away from a water source if I clean it up in less then 6 months.
Went to a rafter building for air movement,open ridge,that tall because I use a small payloader to clean,didnt go to a steel rafter because of cost,the tubes are 5x5,hot dipped,and poly on the roof because I thought steel would rust.
As far as wind,we had a 60mph winter event,so far so good,and the poly is warrented up to 1,1/2inch hail-its not your normal poly.
Was really comfortable building this barn as I could put reinfocement in the rafters and over build the steel uprights,along the bunk the poles are concreted in 4 ft and went with 5x5-5/16 steel tube-3/16 tube was called for.
On the rafters,I braced for 140mph wind,and 80# snow load(x bracing all the way across)all the guard rail is bolted 3/4inch drilled holes-5/8 bolts.
Footing on the building is 4ft deep-12-16inch wide as I have a excavator with 12inch bucket-50 yards of concrete in footings,3/4 rerod in walls and 3/4inch rerod ever 16inchs on the uprights and the walls are 10 inch.

The floor is 7inch with rerod in a 3ftx3ft pattern,on the bunk I pour that right on top of the floor with lots of rerod,can use the bunk to scrap against,as its a 7inch curb.
Didnt go with a monoslope because I thought I would get better air movement with this rafter.
Clean out the building 1 time every 3 weeks,clean my outside lots every 7-10 days,but then I;m kinda anal about cattle staying clean!
Cattle will adapt to any building,but make sure it has enough air movement,seems like the cattle will seek out there comfort spot in the building during high winds and a snowstorm,
I will try to get a material list later,guess I have a lot of money invested-but my son Adam should still be using the building 50 years from now with normal repairs.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)