AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Manure storage - what's your opinion?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Gerard
Posted 1/17/2011 19:22 (#1555058 - in reply to #1554588)
Subject: RE: Manure storage - reply #2

Woodham, Ontario
My wife had diner ready so I didn't get everything in. Gotta keep the wife happy too!

Even if your alfalfa does not need the K from the manure, if you need to get rid of the manure and the regulations allow it, you are still solving the problem by using a dragline. I know, not the technical solution the engineer in you likes, but it gets the job done.

We have not gone wrong buying land, little bit of equity can go a long way to the future. Just keep your eyes open and be patient.

We have one open round pit. It only seems to fill in the winter. I think evaporation keeps it down in the summer. If you keep out rain, you are also going to prevent evaporation. Until the regulations require a roof, I would avoid it.

We seperate manure and compost it for bedding. It is very expensive for 150 head, but we like it. A screwpress is going to result in the driest solids, it is also the most maintenance and wears more. I have to take the screen out of the EYS screwpress every month to pressure wash it. Takes about 90 minutes from start to finish. Haven't noticed significant wear on the screw or the screen yet and it has been running since May. Depensing on how you were transferring manure, you may have to put in 2 pumps. One to feed the screwpress and one to transfer the liquid to the slurry store. You may also need a building to keep it warm. You also have to figure out how to store the solids. You could bed heifers and dry cows with dried uncomposted soilds. The Houle system will likely result in wetter solids... Make sure to figure in electricity usuage in estimations. Our seperator uses 20 amps on single phase, the pump is 7.5 HP 3-phase with a rotary phase converter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)