AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For you Northeners that deal with cold. Who makes the best water hydrant?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 1/10/2011 22:15 (#1540321 - in reply to #1539552)
Subject: RE: For you Northeners that deal with cold. Who makes the best water hydrant?

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Rich, a company called ZURN makes a good one as well. I put in a bunch here when I bought the place, they have all held up great. Only ones that seem to drain correctly and never need adjusting. I'll agree about the cheap China ones, they aren't the tin cans they cast them out of.

So this year I extended some water lines and put in some new pens. Had the Mrs. go by the one plumbing supply store in town that sold them, and pick some up while she was in town. Made sure to have her specify she wanted the 'good' ones. She got them home, sure as hell they are a different brand, made in China. I loaded them back up and drove right back to town, keep in mind thats almost a 100 mile round trip. Needless to say I was hot by the time I got there. Store manager says that is the brand they carry now, had to cut costs. Guess they are cutting a customer now as well.

I use the loader to dig mine out as well, few minutes with the loader sure does give you a nice hole with lots of room to work... ;) Hell I used mine to bury 60' of waterline this year, makes kind of an ugly trench, more like a big ditch, but beats renting a trencher or hiring a backhoe. Being as how us one legged guys don't run a shovel worth a damn anyway.

One more trick. For the drain line I screw a short nipple into the drain hole, then slip four feet of old garden hose over it. Slice the hose lengthwise for the last three feet and lay it out sloping down in the hole. Keeps dirt out of the drain and gives you lots of surface area for the water to drain out of. Works like a charm... and you don't have to buy any of those expensive five gallon buckets. ;)

Edited by Ben D, N CA 1/10/2011 22:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)