AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Suggestions for learning Access?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Jerry NCMO
Posted 4/18/2007 14:19 (#138905 - in reply to #138669)
Subject: RE: Suggestions for learning Access?

I've built a few apps with Access and I think it's very good for the kind of thing you're looking at. Access is a 'relational' database management system, which I'd much prefer to any 'flat file' system (such as you'd find in the MS Works suite or some others) for any non-trivial database. What I like about it is that when you build your own, you can make it as simple or complex in functionality as you like and extend or alter it as you go and learn what features you really want in your application. The MS Office programs are also interoperable, which means that if you have data in an Excel spreadsheet that you want to use in Access or Word, you can not only import the data but actually insert a spreadsheet or portion of it in your Access DB and vice versa so that if the data in the spreadsheet changes it also changes in your other apps that depend on the data without re-importing the data. You might find a DB app that's been built by a developer in Access or other flavor system that will do the job you need, and if it fits your needs that's the easiest way out - but when you roll your own you have the source files to do with it whatever you want. But be prepared to invest some time learning to use it in direct proportion to the level of functionality you want to create. There are MANY references readily available, but the thing that I've found most useful is people who are doing it everyday. If you have access to newsgroups on your e-mail service, it's hard to beat for prompt and truly helpful advice and information. Check out the news.microsoft.com server for dozens of groups on Access as well as Excel, Word, & any other platform you want. Usually when I post a question, it's answered (usually by more than one person) within the day - most often in a few minutes. Most of the people fielding questions here are professionals and do this on their own time just because of their interest in what they do.
Someone mentioned Filemaker and it may be just as good (or better), I'm not dissing it - just not familiar with it. Whatever you use, database development is fun.
Go for it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)