AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Unintended flambe' for Christmas dinner
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 12/28/2010 19:20 (#1511832 - in reply to #1508928)
Subject: Old Dogs and new tricks.

Little River, TX
Took a while to realize a Brie is a cheese and not an exotic Brandy.

Looked at some recipes and did not see any mention of brandy, let alone what I would have recommended "Southern Comfort"!

Saw a recipe for a raspberry tart brie that looked good. Looks ok but I would cut back on the cheese and increase the berries plus a fruit type brandy - Fortified. Southern Comfort would do in a pinch, if enough was used.

Now for my Grandmother's Fruit Cake. Lady came to the USA on a real sailing ship in the */- 1890's. Being Frugal and a Church of England type married to a Pennsylvania Quaker she would make a fruit cake for each of my Grandfathers 6 sisters and 5 brothers.
Each February she would bake 12 Fruit Cakes, one for her Mother In-Law also. When they were all finished my grandfather would go down to the State Liquor Store for a bottle of Brandy. By December with numerous additional bottles of brandy the fruit cakes were delivered to the family. Thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated by all those nice Pennsylvania Quaker Ladies. They all enquired as to the recipe. The fruit and nuts and cake part was relayed but no mention was made of anything alcoholic. Though one time she mentioned, to Grandmother Wilson, a little vanilla extract was judicially applied.

Am now a Grand Grandparent in our won turn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)