AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Learning to play the guitar
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Red/Green
Posted 12/26/2010 11:06 (#1507329 - in reply to #1507032)
Subject: Re: Learning to play the guitar

Elizabethtown,KY
I'm 62, been playing since I was 16, I took lessons for a couple of years, can still read music, but play mostly by ear now. Above all, learn where all the notes are on the fretboard, that allows you to play from barre chord positions as well as block chord positions and others. I went for a lot of years without playing much when I was busy raising kids, but really got back into it back in the 90's, I have a friend I've known since 2nd grade, he and I took lessons together and will play a couple of times a week for 2-3 hrs at a time in winter. He sounds like Johnny Cash and I play lead for him, we also have a friend who plays steel guitar and another who plays bass, we play for nursing homes occasionally, but mostly for our own enjoyment. Try to find other people who play and sit in with them, you will be amazed at what you will learn. I've been watching lots of youtube videos for the last few years, these have really helped me in learning the Merle Travis and Chet Atkins thumb styles, there are some pretty good youtube lessons available, you will just have to spend some time looking.

Edited by Red/Green 12/26/2010 11:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)