AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

triplets in sheep
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

German Shepherd
Posted 12/17/2010 14:04 (#1491325 - in reply to #1491102)
Subject: RE: triplets in sheep

OK, for freezing we put a heat lamp right above the bucket and leave the lid off.  The one thing you have to certain about is that the bulb doesn't get a drop of moisture on it, because you will get a bucket full of glass.  The one barn that has condensation problems is cured by putting a cover for protection over the heat lamp shield.  The only other problem is CATS.  If they figure it out, they will chew the nipples off.  Any cats that we catch in the barn are slapped and thrown out and it seems to solve the problem.  (cat killers needent comment).

Occasionally  we get a lamb on the ewe that figures out the bucket but not often, the rest seem to leave it alone.  One other thing, when you move bottle/bucket lambs, always move at least 2 at a time.  They do bond to each other and they need a friend.  First time I heard this I thought it was nuts, but it's true.  Also, we paint stripes on the backs of the bucket lambs, that way you can spot them instantly and know if there is a problem.  When moving them also, hold them up to the bucket and get them drinking.

Another thing on buckets, we have the nipples mounted high on the bucket with a hose going to the bottom of the bucket.  We don't use a check valve because of bacteria buildup.  If the nipple is put near the bottom (below the milk line) and the nipple leaks/gets chewed off, etc, the bucket will empty. ( don't ask how I know)

The faster you can get them with the main bunch of lambs, the better they will do.

PS, fat lambs here last week weighing 157 sold for $158 CWT.  Let the good times roll.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)