AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

purebred sales, what is the point?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

eddie
Posted 12/13/2010 11:47 (#1483538)
Subject: purebred sales, what is the point?

Went to a Genex heifer sale a few weeks ago.  What a joke.  Ringmen screaming, hooping and hollering, flashing hand signals all over.  About 10% of the lots sold to buyer numbers, all the others were selling to the same 3 or 4 guys on cell phones, all selling to farms in states 500-1,000 miles away (why would farms 15 hours away be buying a $1500 heifer in IL?), some of the ones that sold to buyer numbers were because the guy on the phone "lost the call" so they had to retract his bid and instantly sold it to a guy with a number.  I don't think there were a whole lot more poeple there than the consignors to the sale.  Do all these small purebred angus breeders really feel important taking their purebreds to official angus association auctions only to take them home again.  I really don't have much respect for the Angus Association for running and promoting these circuses either.  Really takes away from their credibility at some of the real reputation sales where the animals are actually changing ownership.  What a joke these sales and the likes of the rookie big money angus breeders with their 50 head annual production sales are.  I guess people just enjoy the atmosphere and being a part of the commotion.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)