AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How we use (or misuse) our food.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 12/11/2010 16:27 (#1480384 - in reply to #1479861)
Subject: RE: How we use (or misuse) our food.

Hi Jorn. I hope all is well for you and yours.

I have to assume this weight is in total? There is an un-avoidable amount of waste that goes with perishables, and then processed and expiration dated food items also have a certain amount of waste that is un-avoidable.

I personally dont feel that all the blame should lay on the end consumer nor the processors and distributors in between. For instance, it would not be feasable for each household to have a bushel of wheat and corn on hand, and process only what is needed at each setting. Instead, mass quantities are processed and the final product is packaged and sold in a grocery store. This gives way to expiration dating and unsold items at the time of expiration, are thrown away, driving up the numbers. Once the raw materials, in general, are processed and made into a final product, the shelf life begins. Unprocessed raw materials have a much longer shelf life.

So IMO, not all of the waste that is usually put into the presented numbers is willfull, or intentional. Some is just un-avoidable.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)