AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fashion, verbiage, and youth...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 12/10/2010 05:04 (#1477762 - in reply to #1477674)
Subject: RE: Fashion, verbiage, and youth...

West Union, Illinois

Fashion ... I'm not sure I even want to jump in that mess.  I will admit to learning to sew enough to split the seams on a pair of bell bottom Levi's (HAD to be Levi's) and sew in a piece of material to make the bell larger.

But my age is showing when it comes to wearing a hat backwards.  Unless you are worried about sunburning your neck or wearing a welding hood or face mask, put your hat on the way God intended it to be worn.

It reminds me of Big George.  George was a born and bred river rat. Never lived more than a good walk from the river, fished professionally (in Illinois that means he ran nets and sold fish and had to pay the state for another license), worked on a farm, drove a truck.   George was setting at the gas station one day drinking his Pepsi when a kid he knew came in wearing his hat backwards.  George looked at him and said "I know you ain't that **** dumb.  Turn your ******* hat around."  You always knew where you stood with George.  He's got a nephew Rich reminds me of in a lot of ways.

The language thing has been an issue for as long as people have been talking.  We fall into patterns and sometimes relearn them.  Others we keep forever.  I'm reminded of a neighbor who inevitably would get the phrase 'In other words..." in a conversation and then repeat his opinion again.

Time has taught me most of whatever the younger generation's catch phrase is, it generally fades as they mature.  "Whatever", "Well duhh...""Dude ..." they all pretty much get outgrown.

As for removing one's hat, take it off in church and the funeral home, during prayer, when the flag goes by, and at the family table. Oh, and when you are waiting as a funeral procession passes by.  Those are not options.  Any other time is personal choice.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)