AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gipsa - is this a good idea?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 11/29/2010 08:03 (#1459203)
Subject: Gipsa - is this a good idea?

Sounds like a 'fairness doctrine' type regulation to me, but I can't help but think further regulation will make everyone's job harder and, as usual (and maybe on purpose), force further consolidation. Sure there are some issues with packers, but that isn't an easy business either - we have a plant sitting empty in rantoul. Last time I checked we are all free to start up our own packing plants if we can jump through all the regulatory hoops (go figure). I'm not sure getting bureaucrats and legislators to 'help' us is a good idea.

For example regulation from epa types will probably make it impossible to have outside hogs at some point unless it's one hog/5 acres or you dig a dike all the way around the field to control potential run off. I'm not so hot on regulation, but standards (the actual function of these groups) are not bad - specifying a wall thickness for a manure pit, minimum strength of concrete, siting standard all are designed to prevent failure and trouble with the public. It would be better if they stuck to that.

Any thoughts?

Pat

Ps: I realize the comment period has ended and the ship has sailed, but I haven't heard much talk about it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)