AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginning beef showman
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

pigfarmerj
Posted 11/18/2010 19:34 (#1442612)
Subject: Beginning beef showman

nw illinois
In late summer my 8 year old informed me that she wanted to show a calf at the fair next summer. I could not have been happier at the time but...........................now it is time to pick out a calf and I am a little apprehensive. I want her to have the best experience possible ie a nice tame calf, one that stands in the middle of the pack (or higher on a good day), and a calf that is somewhat in touch with the real world in terms of economics and performance. My family is not new to this. She would be the fifth generation on my side of the family to show and at least the fourth on my wife's side. Initially I thought a purebred senior heifer calf would be the best way to go, but now I am thinking that a purebred steer may be better.

I like purebreds because there are Junior Associations to become involved with and alot of great young people for my daughter to interact with. Also there are state and regional shows to go to that don't take alot of time like some county fairs do.

Senior Heifer Calves- (downside) can be unpredicatable dispositionwise, maybe a little more expensive to be as competitive in the showring. +++you can show them for 2 years, and with a little luck get a breeding beef project started.

Steers+++A little lower start up cost, usually can tame them down real good with work.-(downside)harvest time

Tell me what you think.

Edited by pigfarmerj 11/18/2010 19:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)