AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Retired Hog operation story
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oilmaster
Posted 11/11/2010 01:13 (#1430672)
Subject: Retired Hog operation story

WCIN
There were 7 fields for hogs and they where fed with shelled corn out of a wagon. Keep in mind, I did this for years. So the story goes on. When I was 5 yrs old and able to cross the mud with help of my Papaw, we fed hogs. Then I grew older, I became the corn "shoveler". I loved it. Now 7 and mixing up with up to 600lbs. sows, stomping thru knee deep mud at the wagon, tossing 22 shovels of corn out, and then have to leave the wagon. I soon understood how to place the corn!

The next year my 4yr old cousin became part of the feedin crew, I'm only 8. It was a very wet spring and we went to feed and the mud was belly deep on the sows, but we get stuck before we get to the wagon. And these mommas' know what we are there for.For minutes before help arrived, I beat some and just had to push some away, because my cousin was stuck in the mud at the wagon's edge. We (I) fed out the corn and we were helped through the stomping ground.

A few years later, the hog lots were no longer, turned into corn fields. The hog buildings were just buildings.

1800 head a year became a grain operation.

My children do not fully understand how things work.

Now that Papaw has been gone for some years and the children don't understand how the grocery store gets meat; I'm going to fence some ground off and get some hogs to finish for meat.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)