AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Large round bales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 11/11/2010 09:03 (#1430938 - in reply to #1430889)
Subject: An interesting side light, to me anyway.

Little River, TX
A testimonial:

The neighbor with his RBer and me with my small square baler started and finished baling the same field at the same times. Just as the humidity, at the windrow level, went through 65%. The atmospheric humidity was 52%.
When we finished the leaves were just starting to shatter.

I pulled hay samples for my square bales and two samples on the round bales. The first RB's tested 1% lower CP while the last RB's tested 3% lower than the small square bales tested.

My conclusion was and is that round baling alfalfa, even with the best of moisture we loose some quality. I have no way to measure quantity but I am sure there was some quantity lost also.
It was difficult to detect where he stopped to tie the BR's, except for the last two bales.

This was with alfalfa, I expect the loss in quality would have been more if we had been baling bermudagrass hay.
I averaged 340 55 lb bales while the neighbor with his machine averaged 38, 1200 lb, bales an hour.

If the neighbor had been using string, #1 he would not have finished just as the leaf shattering became apparent. #2 if he had finished his portion the quality & quantity would have been even lower.

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 11/11/2010 09:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)